Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Turkey Chili

Is it a bit cold where you live? How about some turkey chili to warm your belly? Yeah, I know what you're thinkin'. Turkey chili? Blech. But that's just because you haven't tried my turkey chili. While ground turkey can lean towards the bland, this chili is like a happy dance for your mouth. Really. Just look at the low fat and the fiber as a bonus!

Photobucket

Start by browning up your ground turkey in a large skillet. This makes a lot of chili, so the bigger the skillet the better. After you've browned the turkey, drain the fat.

Photobucket

Add in the tomato sauce and water.

Photobucket

Toss in all the other ingredients except the beans and simmer, covered, for half an hour. This chili has a good kick to it, but if you like it extra spicy, add more ground red pepper to taste after this simmer. I'd recommend sampling it first before adding more though. Better safe than trying to down every drop of water within reach.

Photobucket

Stir in the beans and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.

Photobucket

Add your favorite toppings and enjoy! This chili freezes beautifully, so it's great if you're making prepare ahead meals. It's the dish that just keeps giving!


Turkey Chili

2 lbs. ground turkey
2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 C. water
2 15 oz. cans kidney beans
4 cloves of garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1/4 C. dry minced onion or 1 sm. onion, diced
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
6 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper

Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet then drain the fat. Add all the other ingredients except the beans, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in the beans and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Casey said...

Looks muy delicioso!

Helen said...

Looks tasty!

Kelli said...

OK - I realize that this post is almost a week old, but I think you sent your virus to KY to take up permanent residence in my chest. I'm just now getting caught up on my 'readin'.

This looks delicious! My family only eats ground turkey for some reason (no ground beef), so I'm always looking for new turkey recipes. Just the other day, my son came home from a sleep over and told me that his friend's mom did the most ridiculous thing. She made turkey taco's, but with hamburger meat. He looked at me and said, "have you ever heard of such a thing?". He's either too sheltered, or too naive. or both.