Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Untrained Eye - Snow Day

Every now and then, I'll be reviewing a book I've read or a movie I've seen. Why am I calling it "The Untrained Eye"? Because as the name implies, I have absolutely no training or background for reviewing these things. I'm just a normal person giving my opinion. If you're like me, you have no idea why critics come up with the critiques that they do. So I'll just be putting out a critique for the regular guy/gal. You know, one that makes sense...

For my very first review, I'll be talking about Snow Day by Billy Coffey. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell you that Billy is a friend of mine on Twitter (you can follow him at @billycoffey). I was beyond thrilled when he offered to send me a copy of his book and I sat impatiently by the mailbox and waited for it to arrive. In hindsight, I probably could have waited a couple of days before I started camping out at the mailbox... That being said, I may be biased, but that doesn't mean I'm not right about this book.

Photobucket

Have you ever sat down to read a book only to find yourself smiling? That happened quite a bit for me while I was reading Snow Day. It's such an engaging book! It's the story of Peter Boyd, a factory worker who fears he may be out of a job soon. When a winter storm comes in one day, he decides to call in a snow day from work. But there's to be no sitting around at home for Peter this day. He's got things to do in order to be prepared for the coming storm, literally and figuratively. This is where things get interesting...

Billy Coffey is a master in the Art of Observation. Everyone and everything has a story if you'll just sit back and take it in for a bit. His character, Peter, does just that with his day. It's amazing what stories come out when you just pay attention. I especially love chapter 4 when Peter comes across a wonky Santa figurine and a sweet couple who give him a new perspective on things. Be prepared to smile during this chapter!

This book is full of hope, faith, joy and surprises. Who couldn't use more of those things? Christmas is just a few days away now. Do you have any last minute gifts you need to get for others? Do you want a treat for yourself? Then I'd highly recommend this book to you. It's in book stores everywhere, so you don't even need to wait. It's one that I see myself taking out year after year to re-read. Doesn't someone you know deserve a Snow Day?

2 comments:

flmom said...

I'm reading Snow Day right now (a little over halfway through) and am loving every moment of it. It's definitely causing me to rethink my attitudes.

Helen said...

I love "Snow Day"!